In this article, we are going to cover why and how to customize your text messages and add more personalization to your SMS. We’re going to cover two different techniques:
- Personalize your text messages and make your SMS campaigns more efficient for your business.
- Create text messages that include a url link to get customers to click on your SMS.
Customize your text messages
Customer love when brands personalize the content they send to them. In fact, 66% of people would like a more personalized experience when they interact with businesses. So, what does this mean for text messaging?
It means we should make our text messages more personal, for instance by including the customers’ first names into the messages, and to send offers or promotions that are exclusive for them or tailored for their favorite location.
Send url links in your SMS
Did you know that you can put a link to a website within a text message? Yep, it’s true… and it’s pretty cool!
So what can you link to in a text message to your customers? There are many options, but a few ideas include:
- your Facebook page,
- your mobile commerce page,
- your website
- a survey,
- a blog post…
In that case, the objective is to get the customers to click on your text messages. This allows you to take your customers directly to the order page on your website, and to track closely the success of your messages. By using the right parameters (such as UTM parameters), you can indeed know exactly how many clicks you got on your links, and where they came from!
When sending customers a hyperlink in a text message, there’s a few things to remember.
- Don’t forget to include a call to action to tell customers why they’d want to click on the link in the text message.
- Make sure that wherever you’re linking to is mobile optimized, which means it looks good on a mobile phone. Hey will click on the SMS, so of course they’re going to visit your site from their smartphone!
- Transform your URLs in short ones with a link shortener like bit.ly. It will save characters in your SMS and make it easily readable by the customers. This will also allow you to include detailed UTM parameters.
The next steps
Start personalizing your SMS and include URL links in your text messages, and increase even further the impact of your SMS marketing campaings.