Portmoni doesn’t provide email hosting, but if you buy a domain through Portmoni, or transfer your domain to Portmoni, then we can set up forwarding email addresses for your custom domain for free.
For example, if your custom domain is my-own-domain.com, we can set up a forwarder from [email protected] to [email protected] All emails sent to [email protected] will then automatically arrive in your Gmail inbox.
Then, to send email from your custom domain address [email protected], you just need some additional configuration. Gmail and Yahoo for instance allow to easily send emails using your own domain address:
- Click here to see the step-by-step guide for Gmail
- Click here to see the step-by-step guide for Yahoo Mail
How to answer your emails using your custom address in Gmail
To do that, just follow the steps below:
1.First, you need to set up an App Password for your Gmail account to allow you to use the Gmail SMTP servers. To do that, go to your Gmail account at https://myaccount.google.com/ or click your username or user icon in the upper right corner.
2. Click “My Account” (sometimes labelled as “Google Account”)
3. In the Google account screen, click on “Security”
4. Navigate to the “Signing in to Google” section. First, if it is not yet done, you will need to enable 2-Step Verification.
5. Once this is done, you will see the option “App passwords”. Click on “App passwords“. You may be asked to re-enter your password at this point.
6. In the App passwords box, select Mail for the app, select Other for the device.
7. Enter the name of your domain for the “other” device, and click Generate.
8. The Generated app password box will display a 16-character password. Copy this password. You will need it in the next steps.
9. Return to your Gmail screen.
10. In Gmail, under “Settings > Accounts and Import > Send mail as”, click “Add another email address“.
11. In the “Name” field, enter the name that you want your email to be seen as “From” (e.g. Your Name).
12. In the “Email address” field, enter the email address with the custom domain you used above (e.g. [email protected])
13. Click “Next Step” to proceed
14. In the “SMTP Server” field, enter smtp.gmail.com, and leave the port as 587
15. In the “Username” field, enter your own Gmail email address (the one you are logged in as).
16. In the “Password” field, paste the generated app password you copied in Step 8.
17. Leave the radio button checked to “Secured connection using TLS”.
18. Click “Add Account” to proceed. If you see an error message, check to make sure you have entered the SMTP server, Port, Username, and Password correctly.
19. Open a new tab to Gmail and wait for your verification email to arrive (you will receive a verification code that confirms you are the owner of the email address you are attempting to “Send Mail As”).
20. Once it arrives, copy and paste the verification code at the prompt you received in the previous step.
21. Once you’ve done that, go back to the email and click the link to “Confirm the request“. You need to do this step and the previous step for the email to be correctly configured.
23. Now, when you compose a new message, in the ‘From’ field you can chose from which address you would like the email to be sent. When you send mail from your Gmail account, just click the triangle next to your From address to choose to send the message from the account you added.
How to answer your emails using your custom address in Yahoo Mail
1. Connect to your Yahoo account, and click on the “Settings” icon (usually located in the right part of your screen).
2. In the settings, click on “More settings“.
3. Then, click on “Mailboxes“.
4. In the new screen, in the section “Send-only email address“, click on “Add“.
5. Enter the custom email address you want to configure, like “[email protected]”.
6. Then, click on “Verify to set up“. This will automatically send a confirmation email to your custom address “[email protected]”.
7. Go to your Yahoo Mail inbox, where you should have received the confirmation email. Click on “Click here” to verify the email address.
8. It redirects you to another page. Click on “Verify“.
9. You will then see a “Congratulations” screen, confirming that your email address has been verified.
10. Go back to the “Mailboxes” screen in your “Yahoo Mail” account, following the same steps as 1-3. Your custom email address now appears in the list. Click on your custom email address.
11. Enter the sender name you would like to appear when you send an email (typically that would be your name, like “FirstName LastName”), the description (typically that would be your custom email address, like “[email protected]”), and the reply-to address (typically that would also be your custom email address, like “[email protected]”).
12. You’re done!
Now, when you compose a new message, in the ‘From’ field you can select from which address you would like the email to be sent. When you send mail from your Yahoo account, just click the triangle next to your From address to choose to send the message from the account you added.