In this guide we will see how to accept payments by Visa and Mastercard using Stripe. To follow this guide, you will need to first have created and verified your Stripe account.
- This setup is based on the payment supplier Stripe, which is available for the countries listed at https://stripe.com/global
- Portmoni is not affiliated to Stripe nor receive any commission on the payments processed through Stripe.
Visa and Mastercard on your site using Stripe: what is needed
You will need to have a Stripe account and verify it. Then, you just need to follow the steps below to enable Stripe for your website and online store cart checkout on Portmoni.
Activate Visa, Mastercard and more with Stripe on your website and online store
Here are the steps to follow:
1. In your site editor at https://builder.portmoni.com go to “Edit your site” > “Products and online store options”, and click on “Edit / add payment options”
2. Click on “Add payment option”
3. Select the option “Credit or debit card with Stripe (Visa, Mastercard, and more)”
4. Personalize the label and image if you wish
5. Log into your stripe account at https://stripe.com
6. Click on “Developers”
7. Click on “API keys”
8. The API keys list appears. Click on the publishable key. This will copy the key to your clipboard
9. Paste the publishable key you just copied in the field “Publishable key – Live” in your site editor
10. Click on “Create secret key”
11. Enter a key name of your choice, such as “Secret Key Portmoni”, and click on “Create”
12. Click on the key to copy it (warning: the key needs to be copied at this stage, as it cannot be made visible afterwards. If you forget to copy it, you can just create a new one and use it instead)
13. Paste it in the field “Secret Key – Live” in your site editor
14. Click on “View test data”
15. Click on the publishable key field, this will copy the key to your clipboard
16. Paste the test publishable key you just copied in the field “Publishable Key – Test” in your site editor
17. Click on “Reveal test key”
18. Click on the secret key, this will copy the key to your clipboard
19. Paste the test secret key you just copied in the field “Secret Key – Test” in your site editor
20. Save the payment option
21. You’re done!
Testing the integration
If you want to test the integration, you can check the box “Activate test / sandbox mode” in your stripe payment method. When this box is ticked, the platform will automatically use your test key at checkout, which will allow you to can make test transaction using test card numbers in your site editor. You can find a list of the test numbers made available by Stripe at https://stripe.com/docs/testing
Once you are ready to go live, uncheck the box and you will start accepting credit and debit card payments on your online store.
I hope this helps, and please do not hesitate if needed!